Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Honduras,



Copan

This is where things start to slow down for a while, Copan is a beautiful town set amongst the rolling lush hills of Honduras. The main attraction here are the ruins of copan, which were closed due to protesting while I was there, oh well, Im kind of "ruined" anyway.

So I decided to take the first day here easy, I got some lunch in a beautiful garden cafe and strolled back up the steep streets to the hotel where I planned on climbing into a Hammock and starring over out over the lush jungle for a few hours.




This plan didn't quite work out, I came across four American lads drinking Tequilla on the roof top where the hammocks were... Im not quite sure what got into me that day, but somehow I ended up joining them, claiming that any Australian girl could drink the American lads under the table, a pretty funny thing for a girl like me to be thinking, considering I NEVER have more than two drinks. So we demolished the first bottle of Tequilla, whilst talking about Religion, New and Strange art movements, boys, girls and how do we think is the best way to catch dengue fever. AS YOU DO. Then all stumbled down the street to buy another, stopped and ate some Balliadas, the Honduran street food Cooked on a coal drum fire. mmm warm tortillas with Beans, cheese and a very special type of purple pickled onion.
The balliadas here no saviour though, I very quickly disintergrated, walking so crookedly back up the steep street, and drawing quite alot of attention. I ended up having to claim defeat and curl up on my bed, the room spinning! It was only 7pm.





Feeling a little precious, the next day ended up becoming my slow day, the Hammock was very Kind to me. I ate and read and snoozed but then decided in the afternoon to take a stroll up into the village with my Camera. As it does every afternoon in wet season here, the dark storm clouds rolled over very quickly, and the heavy rain started to pour down. It was a really nice experience, sheltering myself from the rain in the door ways of the locals casa's and tiendas. Them all smilling and laughing at how wet I was. Such friendly people. The Children Of Honduras are so so Beautiful.



Utila, Bay Islands, Carribean Sea

Ok. Until this point if you have been follwing my blog, you will know that, every place I visit has something I find incredibly beautiful.

Hmmm, Utila may be a different story. when you think of going to a Carribean Island, well I Dont even have to tell you what I was expecting beacause you already have it dancing around your head. If you are planning a carribean get away.. please dont go to Utila. Now, I am being a little Harsh, I have some very cool things to report from here.. the little very little things that I found!
Utila is a small island, with dive shops and restaurants lining both sides of its one narrow dirt road. It is swarming with Dogs and kids and it smells a bit.

The attraction for hundreds though is the reef and Islands that surround for exploring, We took a small boat out to isla Agua hired some snorkles and flippered our way around the coral spotting some really pretty fish and experiencing the way the water quickly changes from bath tub warm to freezing cold.

after many hours, as requested our boat returned to collect us, the weather had changed alot in the time we were out on the Island. The boat ride home was halarious, the waves were enourmous, our tiny boat threw us about on the wild sea everytime we would go up with a wave, we would cling so tightly to the sides, and wait for the massive forcefull spray of sharp salty water would smack into us. all eight of us in that boat were absolutely loosing it laughing, I think just because we didn't know what else to do. we were getting smashed in the stormy carribean sea, in a tiny wooden boat with absolutely no sign of a life jacket. something I am glad to have lived through.

Nights on the Island were interesting, restaurants and bars out over the water were crammed full of american college folk on dive vacations, all of them doing shots of vibrant liquors that I defiantely snob for the toxicity and oppt for a mojito instead,, I suppose very hypocritically. The bars were cool, you could sit out over the water, throw your head back listen to some very sexy latin and reggae Music while feeling the fresh carribean sea air on your face.
I was lucky enough... not! to be approached by a guy who claimed to be the island rappa! speaking to me in that Creole island speak that can hardly be understood, he decided to hang on to me all night, breaking occasionally into a new Rap.. Bad rap, Like " Im sitting here, having a beer" haha
He was telling me to watch out for his name in my newspaper, because once he goes to puerto rico he was going to make it Big time! good on him I say.

On Utilla, at night if you walk up the dark single road that leads to the centre of the island into the bush, here is where it gets fun.
Threr is a bar named Tree tanic, It is a huge sculpture in the jungle made completely of mosaic'd broken bottles that leads you through well lit mazes over high bridges to a Bar in the trees. Perfect!
A night at Tree Tanic is absolutely perfect walking out of the jungle towards the sea with a street Balliada and a frozen Choco Banano. mmm. especially with sweet thoughts of leaving in the morning.

3 comments:

Art and Soul said...

Watch the drink! Remember Bridget, who drinks rarely and usually in moderation, was found by the Police, wasted and wandering the streets of Breckenridge, incoherent and passing out. She was taken by them to detox, then quickly transferred to ER. She woke in the morning having no idea how she’d got there. She was told she was ‘lucky’ to be alive.
Lucky* in so many ways:
‘lucky’ she was picked up by the police and not someone else; ‘lucky’ she was non-belligerent as she would have been taken to a cell to dry-out overnight and would have died; ‘lucky’ she hadn’t passed out in the falling snow and died of hypothermia (an intoxicated young man had done this only a few weeks earlier, he died and wasn’t found until the snow ploughs dug up his body up on the side of the road in the snow banks, only a short distance from where Bridget was staying); ‘lucky’ she had medical insurance as part of her travel package…BUT this is where her luck ran out.
The insurance company had a great big exclusion clause, no cover if there was alcohol involved! No matter that her drink was in all probability spiked. There was no way to prove it and anyway she had voluntarily been drinking to start with. The insurance company had a OUT and it was taking it.
Now Bridget has a great big American Hospital bill to pay and it will take her a long time to pay if off and all as a result of having a few drinks with friends.
So be careful!
Love from a concerned step-parent and one to whom you will be wishing you’d never given your blog address. Te he.
*By luck I actually mean something/one else.

miss smith said...

WOW!
Bridget, poor thing.

Ummm Thankyou. So my two mums are now giving me the same advice!
not too much drinking has happened since that night... rooms that spin really scare me.
You are right too, very "lucky" thanks upstairs.

Thnaks for checking baack in on the blog... am tucking myself away for abother afternoon of catching the blog up... mornings here are always superb for being out with the camera, then come mid day the clouds roll in and pour tropical rain all over the shiney city.

Im absolutely loving Panama, is the only place to give Mexico a run for its money.
Check out Casco viejo.. its like Cuba but with a different history.

much love... keep reading.

miss smith said...

HAHA
I really need to make friends with spell check and stop drinking such strong coffee before driving a computer!

xx